In Arab history, we have abundant information about the arts of dancing and singing performed by women slaves who unlike free women, were allowed to appear in public unveiled. These women were bought and trained in the arts in early childhood. Those who excelled were sold for fabulous sums to caliphs and rulers in whose courts they enjoyed great influence.
Download data is not yet available.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Rose Ghurayyib, Importance of Documentation in the Arab World , Al-Raida Journal: Importance of Documentation in the Arab World - February 1978 - Issue 3
- Rose Ghurayyib, Never Married Women , Al-Raida Journal: Never Married Women - Spring 1991 - Issue 53
- Rose Ghurayyib, Bahraini Women and Education , Al-Raida Journal: Women of Bahrain - August 1986 - Issue 37
- Rose Ghurayyib, Jerusalem and I, by Hala Sakakini , Al-Raida Journal: Women Contributing to a Better World - Fall 1991 - Issue 55
- Rose Ghurayyib, Where Woman Work Is Needed , Al-Raida Journal: Women in Charge - August 1990 - Issue 50
- Rose Ghurayyib, Wafa Stephan, National Conference of the Lebanese Women's Council 23-4-1983 , Al-Raida Journal: Women’s Participation in Development - August 1983 - Issue 25
- Rose Ghurayyib, Information and Propaganda , Al-Raida Journal: 1984, The Beginning of a New World Communication Order? - February 1984 - Issues 27-28
- Rose Ghurayyib, Sexuality and War, By Evelyne Accad , Al-Raida Journal: Basic Education and Female Drop-Out in the Arab World - Summer 1992 - Issue 54
- Rose Ghurayyib, Women's Psychology , Al-Raida Journal: Women’s Psychology - February 1988 - Issue 43
- Rose Ghurayyib, Woman Through 17 Stories , Al-Raida Journal: 1984, The Beginning of a New World Communication Order? - February 1984 - Issues 27-28
- Sara Elbanna, Art and Islam in Dialogue: A Breakdown of Preconceived Notions as Seen in the Art of Shirin Neshat and Lalla Essaydi , Al-Raida Journal: Vol. 44 No. 2 (2020): Islamic Feminism
- Yasmine Nachabe Taan, Women and Photography , Al-Raida Journal: Women and Photography - Spring/Summer 2013 - Issues 141-142
- Lebanese American University, Mehranguise Irani relates her experience with Art at BUC , Al-Raida Journal: Future Plans for IWSAW - February 1982 - Issue 19
- Azza Charara Baydoun, Family Violence in Men’s Accounts: Implications for Action , Al-Raida Journal: Vol. 42 No. 2 (2018)
- Djaouida Lassel, Hirak 2019: A New Year of Struggle for Algerian Feminists , Al-Raida Journal: Vol. 44 No. 1 (2020): Special Issue on Gender and Revolution
- Sara Mameni, Car Flirting and Morality Cruising: Neurotic Gazes and Paranoid Glances in Contemporary Iranian Art , Al-Raida Journal: Women and Photography - Spring/Summer 2013 - Issues 141-142
- Sumayyah Samaha, Artworks , Al-Raida Journal: Arab Refugee Women - Winter/Spring 2008 - Issues 120-121
- Rachel Epp Buller, “Un/Veiled: Feminist Art from the Arab/Muslim Diaspora” , Al-Raida Journal: Arab Diaspora Women - Winter/Spring 2007 - Issues 116-117
- Laurie King-Irani, Subjectivity versus Subjection , Al-Raida Journal: Arab Women in the Fine Arts - Spring 1996 - Issue 73
- Rose Ghurayyib, Art, Science and Women , Al-Raida Journal: Women and Work - February 1987 - Issue 39
You may also start an advanced similarity search for this article.