In Arab history, we have abundant information about the arts of dancing and singing performed by women slaves who unlike free women, were allowed to appear in public unveiled. These women were bought and trained in the arts in early childhood. Those who excelled were sold for fabulous sums to caliphs and rulers in whose courts they enjoyed great influence.
Download data is not yet available.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Rose Ghurayyib, My Next Door Neighbor , Al-Raida Journal: Women and Work - February 1987 - Issue 39
- Rose Ghurayyib, From the Winner of the Franco-Arab Book Award, 1993. Evelyne Accad's "Blessures Des Mots" (Wounds of Words) , Al-Raida Journal: Women=Family in 1994? Fall 1993 - Issue 63
- Rose Ghurayyib, Out of the Margins, by Aaron and Walby (Eds.) , Al-Raida Journal: Women... A Step Ahead - Fall 1992 - Issue 59
- Sara Elbanna, Art and Islam in Dialogue: A Breakdown of Preconceived Notions as Seen in the Art of Shirin Neshat and Lalla Essaydi , Al-Raida Journal: Vol. 44 No. 2 (2020): Islamic Feminism
- Yasmine Nachabe Taan, Women and Photography , Al-Raida Journal: Women and Photography - Spring/Summer 2013 - Issues 141-142
- Lebanese American University, Mehranguise Irani relates her experience with Art at BUC , Al-Raida Journal: Future Plans for IWSAW - February 1982 - Issue 19
- Azza Charara Baydoun, Family Violence in Men’s Accounts: Implications for Action , Al-Raida Journal: Vol. 42 No. 2 (2018)
- Djaouida Lassel, Hirak 2019: A New Year of Struggle for Algerian Feminists , Al-Raida Journal: Vol. 44 No. 1 (2020): Special Issue on Gender and Revolution
- Sara Mameni, Car Flirting and Morality Cruising: Neurotic Gazes and Paranoid Glances in Contemporary Iranian Art , Al-Raida Journal: Women and Photography - Spring/Summer 2013 - Issues 141-142
- Sumayyah Samaha, Artworks , Al-Raida Journal: Arab Refugee Women - Winter/Spring 2008 - Issues 120-121
- Rachel Epp Buller, “Un/Veiled: Feminist Art from the Arab/Muslim Diaspora” , Al-Raida Journal: Arab Diaspora Women - Winter/Spring 2007 - Issues 116-117
- Laurie King-Irani, Subjectivity versus Subjection , Al-Raida Journal: Arab Women in the Fine Arts - Spring 1996 - Issue 73
- Rose Ghurayyib, Art, Science and Women , Al-Raida Journal: Women and Work - February 1987 - Issue 39
You may also start an advanced similarity search for this article.